Thursday, June 25, 2009



The fact that this swan's nest is out in the open, visible to the throngs of visitors, makes it feel even more fragile than if it were tucked away, hidden from view. Over Memorial Day weekend, I made brief appearances, just to check on the swans' well-being. On one of these forays, I heard a young boy say: "let's throw a rock at her." This of course was one of my biggest fears. Luckily, the girl with him said NO! And I left reluctantly knowing I cannot police the nest 24/7.

Swans are powerful birds, they bite, and their wings can break your arm. Swans display aggression by lowering their neck, hissing, and rushing at you. They protect their territories from strangers and other swans, and are more aggressive during the nesting season because they need to protect their nest, eggs and babies.

No comments: